A crown is used to entirely cover or cap a damaged tooth. Besides strengthening a damaged tooth, a crown (cap) can be used to improve its appearance, shape or alignment.
A crown is usually recommended to
- Cover a tooth that has had a root canal treatment
- Restore a fractured tooth
- Protect a weak tooth from fracturing
- Cover a dental implant
- Cover a discoloured or chipped or malaligned tooth
- Replace a large filling when there is’nt enough tooth structure remaining
- Attach a bridge.
A bridge maybe recommended if you have missing one or more teeth. Gaps left by missing teeth eventually cause the remaining teeth to rotate or shift into the empty spaces, resulting in a bad bite.The imbalance caused by missing teeth can also lead to gum disease and temporomandibular joint disorders.
Bridges are commonly used to replace one or more missing teeth as they span across the area where the teeth are missing.Briges are cemented to the natural teeth or implants surrounding the empty space.